We welcome and thank you for your interest in visiting The Islamic Society of Central New York. Our tours last approximately 30 minutes and require an appointment. Please allow at least 3 business days in advance so that we can ensure a host/hostess will be available.
The Visit to the Masjid Will Include:
1. A tour of the masjid, discussing the architecture and role of the Masjid in traditional and contemporary community life.
2. An orientation to the basic beliefs of Islam and the demographics of the Muslim’s in CNY.
3. Basic Islamic terminology will be introduced to enhance the educational experience.
4. The group may observe one of our five daily prayers (depending on timing)
5. The visitors will take part in an open discussion with a question and answer period with the tour leader.
What is a Mosque (Masjid)?
The Masjid is a central location for congregational prayer and community services. Our services include 5 daily prayers, library, Sunday school, recreational areas, and areas for social events/activities.
The Masjid is also a central hub for religious gatherings which include our Friday sermon (Jummah) and marriage ceremonies. Many Masjid’s also provide counseling for both religious and non-religious affairs.
What to Wear?
Dress Code: We request that all visitors dress modestly and respect the sanctity of the prayer hall. Group leaders should ensure that both males and females dress modestly. Women are not required to cover their hair. If tour attendees wish to bring along a head scarf, that is completely optional.
* All children must be supervised by adults during their visit
* Prayer service: If the visit coincides with the prayer services, visitors may sit and observe if they wish. We ask that visitors sit quietly and turn oﬀ their cell phones so as not to disturb the service. The guide will address any questions or comments after the service.
* Video and Audio Recording are not permitted without prior written authorization from ISCNY.
Structure of the Masjid
Upon entering the Masjid, you will be asked to remove your shoes, so we can maintain the cleanliness of our prayer space. Please feel free to carry/wear a pair of socks as several areas are constructed with tile floors.
We thank you for your interest in visiting the Islamic Society of CNY. Please feel free to let us know if there is anything we can do to make your trip an enjoyable experience.
*Please also note, that no alcohol or pork is allowed inside the Masjid
SCHEDULE A VISIT